After your tooth extraction, our dentists will provide you with post-op care instructions to help you heal and recover. Please follow these instructions as closely as possible. If you have any questions about your post-op instructions or to schedule an appointment with Dr. Matthew Fraiz, Dr. David Wiener and Dr. Mallory Griffith, call Indy Dental Health at 317-872-3465.
After your tooth extraction, there will be an initial healing period of one to two weeks. Expect to experience some swelling and discomfort for the first 48 hours after your procedure.
We recommend that you:
- Do not chew anything for at least two hours or until the anesthetic wears off.
- Use an ice pack or cold compress to help decrease swelling.
- Do not touch the extraction site with your tongue or fingers.
- Do not drink through a straw.
- Do not swish and spit vigorously.
- Avoid blowing your nose or sneezing violently.
- Do not rinse your mouth the day of the surgery.
- Do not smoke or use other tobacco products for several days after your extraction.
- Avoid strenuous activities for the first 24 hours after your procedure, and keep your head elevated. Try to relax as much as possible.
- Maintain a soft diet for 48 hours.
Please contact our office if you have any questions or to schedule a follow-up appointment with our dentists in Indianapolis, Indiana.